Location: Calgary, Alberta
The 100 year old house that stands next to the Friends of Fish Creek Provincial Park Society office has remained empty since around 1957. It was part of the ranch upgrades carried out by Patrick Burns in 1918, and is one of only three buildings remaining from the Burns period, a significant time for the ranching industry in Canada. This house has been part of the charm of Fish Creek Park for three generations and is important to the community. However, this building is subject to demolition at the stroke of a pen. This project will look at the feasibility to renovate and repurpose this building to support the Friends of Fish Creek Provincial Park Society’s growth, support community to provide a facility to serve as a hub for less established non-profit groups and ensure the survival of this piece of Calgary’s history.